South Wales rail passengers warned to check before travelling due to engineering work09 January 2023
Rail passengers in South Wales are being warned to check before they travel as Transport for Wales (TfW) undertakes engineering work between Cardiff and the valleys.
The work is the latest phase of the transformation of the Core Valley Lines (CVL) for the South Wales Metro.
The railway between Radyr and Pontypridd will be closed between Sunday 8 January and Friday 27 January, with the exception of Thursday 12 and Friday 13 January.
Additionally, services will also be suspended between Cardiff Central and Radyr between Sunday 8 January and Wednesday 11 January.
Between Saturday 14 January and Sunday 22 January, there will also be no services north of Pontypridd to Treherbert, Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil.
TfW is encouraging passengers to check for the latest travel information before making their journeys. This can be found on the TfW website and app.
During the closure, replacement bus services will be in operation. In addition to these, ticket acceptance will be in place on selected local bus services.
The South Wales Metro will significantly improve connectivity throughout South Wales and provide access to jobs, leisure and other opportunities for the people of Wales, through unifying rail, bus and active travel routes. The project has been part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government.
Work taking place will include the installation of overhead line equipment and foundations for new signals. The railway embankment will be widened at Pentre-bach station, and upgrades will be made to Devil’s Footbridge and Quakers Yard Footbridge. TfW will also be carrying out major gas diversion works along the Treherbert Line.
During the closure, replacement bus services will be in operation. In addition to these, ticket acceptance will be in place on selected local bus services – the following bus routes are available:
Cardiff Central to Radyr (via the City Line) – Cardiff Bus services 21, 23, 24, 25, 61 and 63
- Cardiff Central - 25 service from Wood Street, 21 23 and 24 Service from Westgate Street
- Waun-gron Park - 61 Service on Waungron Road
- Fairwater - 61 Service from the Health Centre (Plas Mawr Road)
- Danescourt – 63 Service on Danescourt Way.
- Radyr - 63 From Heol Isaf
Cardiff Central to Pontypridd – TrawsCymru T4 (operated by Stagecoach)
- Cardiff Central - T4 from Greyfriars Road (Customers can train to Queen Street and walk to Greyfriars Road instead of walking the whole route)
- Cardiff Queen Street - T4 from Greyfriars Road
- Cathays - T4 from Greyfriars Road
- Llandaf - 24 and 25 Services from Station Road
- Radyr - 63 from Heol Isaf
- Pontypridd - T4 from Pontypridd Bus Station