Over the next few weeks, you may be heading into town to pick up those last minute bits of Christmas shopping, going to a work do, catching up with old friends over a coffee, or starting your New Year’s Eve preparations! Whatever your plans over the festive period, public transport is a great way to make your journeys safely and conveniently- and Traveline Cymru is here to help.
We recently created a video to show you how the Traveline Cymru app, website, and Freephone contact number can help you make your journeys this winter using public transport. If you have not seen our video already, give it a watch below!
1. You can now use contactless card payments on board some buses to purchase your ticket- so be sure to have it to hand! If you do choose to pay by cash, make sure that you have exact change as this a requirement on many bus services. It is also a good idea to have your payment method ready before you board the bus to avoid any delays for the driver.
2. Be sure to take your belongings with you when you leave the bus or train. Especially at this hectic time of year, it can be easy to accidently leave behind your phone, wallet or bag. Make sure you check (and double check) the area where you have been sitting before leaving the bus.
3. Plan your journey in advance using the Traveline Cymru Journey Planner www.traveline.cymru. Our Journey Planner will give you the quickest route to your destination. Simply type in where you are going from and to, what time you want to depart or arrive, and how you want to get there. You can also use our walking and cycle planner if you would prefer to make your journey by foot or bike. We will then give you a step-by-step breakdown of each part of your journey including timings and route maps, meaning you can plan your journey in advance.
4. Download our useful, bilingual Traveline Cymru app for information on the move. It is completely free! You can use our Journey Planner, Timetables page, Bus Stop Finder and Disruptions page to plan your journey on the go. This is a great way to make sure you can get home safely, particularly when making journeys late at night.
5. There’s safety in numbers so avoid walking home alone even if this means calling in a favour from a friend! This is especially important if you are making a late night journey or after you have been drinking. A friend or colleague will be more than happy to help.
6. Save our Freephone number 0800 464 00 00 so you can call us for information if you get stuck. One of our friendly advisors will be on hand to help you plan your journey, whether this is on the go or in advance. You can find their Christmas Opening hours here.
7. Don’t take shortcuts and always walk down well-lit streets. This means that you can see what is going on around you and other pedestrians and road users are aware of your presence. You can also stay aware of your surroundings by avoiding distractions, such as headphones.